At Braswell Family Dentistry in Perry, GA, your dentist values preventive care to protect you against oral health problems. Dr. Temiko Braswell and her team guides patients through proper oral hygiene habits at home and deliver the best six-month check-ups, cleanings, and X-rays in the office. Here's why attention to your teeth and gums pays off.
Why is preventive care important?
Preventive dental care decreases your chances of developing serious oral health problems such as:
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease (gingivitis and periodontitis)
- Tooth loss
- Oral cancer
- Enamel wear
- Dental sensitivity
- Dental stains
- Worn restorations (fillings and crowns as examples)
Additionally, when your mouth is healthy, the rest of you likely is, too. If you develop advanced gum issues, for example, you increase your chances of developing inflammatory diseases such as type-2 diabetes, stroke, heart attack and even arthritis and dementia. A little advanced care goes a long way to keep the total you in the best of health.
The two-fold nature of preventive care
To ensure your teeth and gums remain vibrant, both you and your Perry dentist must partner in their maintenance. At home, you should:
- Eat wisely. That means limited sugar, carbs and acidic foods. They create the perfect environment for oral bacteria, the chief cause of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Drink a lot of water. It washes away food residues and increases saliva, a natural antibacterial agent.
- Brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day. The American Dental Association (ADA) advises this, and so does Dr. Braswell. You'll remove sticky plaque and keep hard calculus, or tartar, from forming. Use a fluoride toothpaste and any mouth rinse your hygienist recommends.
- Floss every day. Before bed is best. Flossing limits gingivitis and more destructive forms of periodontal disease.
- Reduce your alcohol intake.
- Stop smoking and/or chewing tobacco.
- Report any pain, sores, and changes in hard or soft tissues to your dentist.
At Braswell Family Dentistry, you can take advantage of:
- Six-month hygienic cleanings to eliminate plaque and tartar
- Digital X-rays which uncover hidden dental problems
- A comprehensive oral exam (your dentist looks for signs of decay, gum disease, oral cancer, poor bite, jaw problems, deteriorating dental work and more)
- Plastic sealants for your children's molars
- Fluoride treatments to keep tooth enamel strong
Let's partner together
At Braswell Family Dentistry, Dr. Temiko Braswell and her team serves patients of all ages. They love seeing children develop beautiful smiles and helping adults maintain theirs for life. If you wish to arrange your six-month cleaning, please call your dentist at her Perry, GA, office at (478) 988-3200. Also serving Perry, Warner Robin, and Huston Country.